Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Blog Post 10: Summarizing the Course Blog

Being immersed in various schools, reading new books about education, and discussing thoughts with my classmates I have learned a lot. When I began this course I did not expect to get as much out of it as I have. When we started reading the William Ayers and Educational Foundation books, I was always genuinely interested in the information that was being discussed.
Starting with Lisa Delpit, I learned the importance of putting our own personal beliefs to the side when understanding others. Since reading this I have tried to remind myself of this when dealing with day to day situations. I found that when I am more open-minded and optimistic, I tend to look at things in a more positive way. This lesson will definitely stay with me for the rest of my life, especially in the teaching world.
Another lesson that was extremely eye-opening to me, was when we were assigned to go observe a public place with a partner. I found it so interesting that being in the same place as someone, at the same time, and basically in the same seat, we still saw so many different things. It made me realize how diverse people’s insights and perspectives are on the world. 
Lastly, I came to the realization that the most important qualities of a teacher are being passionate, empowering students, and connecting bridges. Through personal experience and class discussion I found that possessing these qualities truly benefits the students. Not only does it create a strong bond between the students and teachers, but it also makes a comfortable classroom - two very important aspects of being a great teacher. 

No comments:

Post a Comment