Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Blog Post 5: Liberal & Radical Distinctions of Addressing Homophobia & Heterosexism

Throughout my past 13 years of education, I have attended three different schools. The first school I went was Immaculate Conception. It was a small, private catholic school in my hometown. There was about 15 to 20 kids in each grade. Since everyone in my grade had every class with each other, we mostly knew everything about everyone. It can be assumed that because everyone knew so much about one another we would all be open and nonjudgemental, but that was not the case. Students at my school were quick to judge when it came to others being “different”. Spending nine years at Immaculate made me realize how cruel some children are when exposed to others who do not share the same beliefs or values as them. It made me sad to see how some kids were treated, but I was always an open and care free person. My school had no type of GSA or clubs at all actually. I think this was hard for some students, because it didn't always seem that they were welcomed or cared for. 
Switching to a public school for high school, I found the high school’s environment to be much more open. Everyone at my high school was encouraged to be themselves, everyone wore what they felt happy and comfortable in, acted how they wanted, and did extra curricular that they were truly interested in. Mostly everyone was care-free and happy when others expressed who they were. My high school did have a GSA and a lot of people participated in it. It was run by a very well-liked english teacher, who brought in speakers that experienced LBGTQ issues growing up, as well as counselors and advocates for LGBTQ organizations. I only attended a few GSA meetings, but everyone i talked to said that they enjoyed the speakers, because it made them feel more comfortable knowing they are not alone and that they are accepted. 
Now that I am at John Carroll I feel the same sense, sometimes even better school atmosphere for acceptance and openness. Everyone here is encouraged to be who they are and it seems that no one is judgmental of one another - an aspect I truly admire about JCU. 
In Rofes’s reading, he describes childhood as a time where kids feel pressured to conform to society’s norms and values rather than what they feel happy or comfortable with. Rofes wants to recognize that LGBT youth are experiencing suffering, and that needs to be put to an end. Rofes aspires to create a society where differences are vanished and youth feel comfortable being who they are. 
Throughout the reading, Rofes pointed out differences between liberal and radical views of homophobia and heterosexism. An example of a liberal view he stated is that cultural assimilation requires us to strip away our differences and eliminate any attribute that would conflict with the status quo. This example has to do with the contemporary understanding of childhood, because it proves how children in today, previous, but hopefully not future societies feel pressured to maintain the same beliefs others have. Due to some people’s ignorance it causes others to feel un-welcome, which is a problem that needs to be addressed. A radical view that Rofes shared is how, in a democracy people should have the right to organize their relationship, sex, fidelity, and gender how ever they choose. On June 26th, 2015 the bill was passed legalizing gay marriage all throughout the United States. This was a historical day, and coincidentally my aunt who is gay, had planned her wedding to be that day. But anyway, I think that the radical view of addressing homophobia and heterosexism is more active about what they want to achieve in how to make childhood a more open and comfortable experience. 
I believe that growing up all children should be encouraged to be who they are. If society did this right off the bat, kids would be able to grow up feeling free to express themselves. It is unfair that society creates social norms that boys should like blue and play with cars, and girls should like pink and play with dolls. If society got rid of these assumed values, kids would have the ability to grow up so much more care free and open. Personally, I think that all schools should encourage talking about LGBT issues. I feel that so many schools try to avoid discussing these issues, which makes it extremely uncomfortable when the topic does arise. Forming groups like GSA or just monthly discussion where students can come and freely voice their opinions on personal sexual or gender conflicts they are experiencing. 
Envisioning how I will to be teaching in 4 years, I aim to create an open, accepting learning environment. I want all children to feel that they can trust me and the other students, when sharing their beliefs and problems. Although this is easier said than done, ideas of achieving this could be like: making  a GSA club, having open class room discussions, and verbally telling my class that they can confide in me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment