Thursday, September 10, 2015

Blog 2: Significance of Lisa Delpit Quote

         Lisa Delpit once said, “We do not really see through our eyes or hear through our ears, but through our beliefs. To put our beliefs on hold is to cease to exist as ourselves for a moment.” Based on past experiences and readings I found that this quote holds much truth and significance to it. 
         Growing up I was always told to look at people and situations with an open-mind, a task that is easier said then done. Until a few years ago when I began volunteering at a refugee center, I never fully understood the importance of being nonjudgemental and open to new people/opportunities. At the center, Vive la Casa, I set aside all my pre-conceived notions and completely immersed myself into this opportunity. I met families from Ghana, Nicaragua, and Honduras. Despite our language barrier we made a real connection through playing games, making crafts, and organizing their rooms. Looking back on this experience, I am so happy that I let go of my beliefs for once and saw/heard the people for who they truly are. 
In Bill Ayer’s book, To Teach, Delpit’s quote further exemplifies Ayer’s underlying message, that in order to create a successful and happy learning environment teachers need to keep open-minds, stay optimistic, and see the potential in their students. One of Ayer’s quotes that stood out to me said, “The student grows and changes, the teacher learns, the situation shifts, and seeing becomes an evolving challenge. As the student becomes more fully present to the teacher, experiences and ways of thinking and knowing that were initially obscure become the ground on which an authentic and vital teaching practice can be constructed” (13). After breaking down this quote, one can see that Ayer is saying how influential getting to know your students and teachers is. Making deeper connections and listening to one another without judgements makes a huge difference in having a good relationship with each other. 
Seeing people with our eyes and hearing them with our ears instead of our beliefs is great advice everyone should listen to. Not only has it helped me immerse myself into new situations, but it has also taught me to improve my relationships by becoming more understanding and open-minded. 

No comments:

Post a Comment